Unless you have limitless resources (and wouldn't that be lovely), chances are you are going to have to convince one or more of the powers that be / bean counters as to why having a great website should be a top priority for your nonprofit organisation, and why that hodge podge of ugly and uninspiring content you are currently living with simply won't do.
Here are some quick fire figures to have in your back pocket ready to unleash:
From the M+R '2014 Benchmarking' report (annual nonprofit study)
- Online giving for the study participants increased 14% over the 2012 totals
- Monthly giving revenue grew by 25% in 2013 - making up 16% of total online giving
- Monthly website traffic increased by 16% in 2013
- Website visitors that made it through to the organisation's primary donation page converted to making a donation at a rate of 15% (i.e.: inspiring images and stories supported by great navigation is essential).
From Blackbaud's 'The Next Generation of American Giving' 2013 report
- Online giving is gaining ground where traditional formats are dropping away
- The report studied the percentages of different generations who had given online at an organisation's own website in the preceding 2 years:
- Gen Y - 47%
- Gen X - 40%
- Baby Boomers - 42% (please note this is more than Gen X)
- Matures - 27%
- One third of participants said visiting the organization’s website is extremely or very important. (This was the highest ranking among the choices given.)
- The majority regarded it as having a high value.
From the Millennial Impact Report 2013
Millennials (born 1981-1996) use websites first to learn about the organisation, and then to connect with its social networks to stay updated. The smoother and more integrated the online experience, the higher the chances for conversion along any point of the engagement pathway.
Noting the above, Millennials’ biggest website pet peeve is when the information has not been recently updated.
83% of Millennial respondents had made a donation in 2012.
Millennials want you to have an up-to-date, well-designed website. Make it mobile-friendly
A number of quick videos of participant feedback on a number of issues are also available.
And, of course, we are always available to come and support you in discussions with your Board, ED or senior management. It's something we do as part of our consulting and website development services.
Questions and feedback always welcome.